Rules & Rates
Why choose HMU
It's local - locally owned, operated and supported. It is the only telephone system owned, operated and controlled by Harlan residents. Local control means quicker response to your questions and better service.
One call service for Telephone, Cable TV and High Speed Internet.
One bill for Local Telephone, Cable TV and High Speed Internet. Long distance billing is included when you choose HMU as your carrier.
More of your money stays right here in Harlan working for you. This means more expanded telephone, Cable TV and Internet features and upgrades other towns don't have.
Free calling features. HMU telephone service gives you the choice of choosing from popular calling features such as Call Waiting and Three Way Calling at no additional monthly charge.
HMU telephone customers can receive 120 minutes of free Long Distance per month.
Expanded calling area. Heavy users can call surrounding towns with a discounted calling plan.
Lifeline is a plan that assists qualified low-income Iowans by providing a monthly reduction of $9.25 on their local telephone bill.
Eligibility Requirements for Assistance
An applicant must participate in one of the following to be eligible for assistance:
- Medicaid (such as Title XIX/Medical, state supplemental assistance)
- Supplemental Nutritional Asistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal public housing assistance
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- An income below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Temporary assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- National free school lunch program (NSL)