Phone: 712-755-5182

2412 Southwest Ave, Harlan IA 51537

Customer Service

HMU Logo

Now hiring

We're accepting applications for a Meter Reader/Gas Serviceman. Click on the banner or the link below for a job description and application. Apply by 4:30PM on April 7th.

Secure IT anti virus

Protect your Windows based devices from Viruses and malware with SecureIT plus. $4.95 per month per device and 24/7 support. Click on the banner to sign up.

E-mail updates

Sign up for outage information, service interruption updates and programming updates.

Look For The Energy Star

Qualifying Energy start appliances receive a rebate from HMU. Check the brocure before you buy.

themed object

Electric - Gas - Water - Cable TV - Internet - Telephone



get in touch

Customer Service

New service request

If you are moving into Harlan Municipal Utilities' service territory, please stop at our offices at 2412 Southwest Ave or contact the HMU Customer Service Department at 712-755-5182. You will be asked to complete an application for service. No deposit is required as long as you can provide a good credit reference from your last utility provider. The reference must cover at least 6 months service. HMU provides electric, gas, water, telephone, cable TV, and High Speed Internet service.


Return to Top

Change of Address/Final Read Request

If you are leaving HMU's service territory and have been using our cable TV or Internet service, you will need to make arrangements to return any equipment you have. Failure to return cable TV or internet equipment will result in your being charged for the equipment.

You will also need to make arrangements for a final meter reading.

Return to Top

Customer Bill Assistance

HMU Customer Service Department Personnel are available to consult with customers who may find it difficult at times to pay their utility, telephone, cable TV or Internet bills. This service may include referrals to local agencies who can provide assistance to meet emergency situations. HMU will, in most cases, provide payment agreement options to help customers during financially difficult periods.

Return to Top

Special Programs

Project Share

As with every community, there are needy households who are unable to pay their energy bills. The Project Share program is a voluntary contribution program that enables you, through HMU, to assist these individuals.

HMU customers can contribute to Project Share by filling out a form available at the HMU Customer Service Department. Forms are also printed twice a year in the HMU monthly newsletter. Project Share contributions are tax deductible.

All types of households are eligible for assistance. No administrative costs are charged to the program, so every dollar contributed goes to help households requiring assistance.

One - Call Service

Iowa One Call Before You DigBEFORE YOU DIG, Call 1-800-292-8989 or 811 Anytime an excavation or digging in excess of 12 inches is planned, you or your contractor must call Iowa One-Call. The advantage of the Iowa One-Call system is that only a single telephone call is necessary. Iowa One-Call then notifies all electric, natural gas, water, telephone, cable TV and sewer providers with facilities near the excavation to locate and mark underground services. A minimum of 48 hours notification is required by the One-Call System for non-emergencies.

Return to Top





slide up button